CA Bhavani Devi Biography:
CA Bhavani Devi (aka Chadalavada Ananda Bhavani Devi) is an Indian Sabre Fencer and She was born on Friday, August 27, 1993, in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India. Her father CA Sundararaman is a temple priest and her mother Ramani is a housewife. She has 4 siblings, 2 elder sisters and 2 Elder brothers.
She did her schooling at Muruga Dhanushkodi Girls Higher Secondary, Chennai and then earned Bachelors in Business Administration at Government Brennen College, Thalassery, Kerala. Later, finished her MBA graduation from St.Joseph’s Engineering College, Chennai.
In 2003, Bhavani was introduced to fencing while studying in 6th standard in her school. She is then interested in fencing and pursues the sport passionately. After schooling, she joined the Sports Authority of India Centre in Kerala and got trained under fencing coach Sagar Lagu to master her fencing skills.
Her parents faced a lot of problems to fulfil their daughter’s dream. At one point, she thought of quitting the sport because of a lack of funding to purchase the equipment. In 2015, GoSports Foundation (Rahul Dravid Athlete Mentorship Programme) came to her aid and provided her with a scholarship.
CA Bhavani Devi All Wiki Biography:
|Full Name||Chadalavada Ananda Bhavani Devi|
|Date of Birth||August 27, 1993 (Friday)|
|Age (as in 2020)||28 Years|
|Birth Place||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Hometown||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|School||Muruga Dhanushkodi Girls Higher Secondary, Chennai|
|College||Government Brennen College, Thalassery, Kerala|
St.Joseph’s Engineering College, Chennai
In 2007, Bhavani participated in the Junior Nationals at Amravati in Maharashtra, where her fencing talent was spotted by national coach Sagar Lagu. She moved to the SAI centre in Thalassery, Kerala. In the same year, At the age of 14, she appeared at her first international tournament in Turkey and got the black card for being late by 3 minutes.
She then won her first national Gold medal in U-17 Junior Nationals 2008. Two years later, she was crowned as National Champion for the first time at the Senior National Open Fencing Championships 2010.
Bhavani emerged as National Champion seven times Between 2011-2018. In 2014, Bhavani made her international debut in Turkey. In the same year, she won her first international Gold medal at the Tuscany Cup in Italy.
She achieved the feat of becoming the 1st Indian fencer to win the Gold medal in an international fencing event at the Tournoi Satellite Fencing Championship Reykjavik 2017 in Iceland. In the following year, she won the Silver medal at the same tournament.
Bhavani then became the first Indian fencer to break into Top-50 by ranking 42nd in the world in 2019. Later in 2020, She became the first Indian fencer to qualify for Olympics (Tokyo Olympics 2021).
CA Bhavani Devi Achievements:
- Junior Commonwealth Championship, Malaysia 2009: Gold Medal (Team Event)
- Cadet Asian Fencing Championship, Philippines 2010: Bronze Medal (Team Event)
- International Open, Thailand 2010: Bronze Medal (Team Event)
- Junior Commonwealth Championship, Jersey 2012: Bronze Medal
- Junior Commonwealth Championship, Jersey 2012: Silver Medal (Team Event)
- Asian Championship, Philippines (under 23) 2014: Silver Medal
- Tuscany Cup, Italy 2014: Gold Medal
- Asian Championship, Mongolia (under 23)2015: Bronze Medal
- Flemish Open, Belgium 2015: Bronze Medal
- Tournoi satellite WC Fencing competition, Iceland 2017: Gold Medal
- Tournoi satellite WC Fencing competition, Iceland 2018: Silver Medal
- Tournoi satellite WC Fencing competition, Iceland 2018: Bronze Medal
- Commonwealth Fencing Championship, Australia 2018: Gold Medal
- Tournoi satellite WC Fencing competition, Belgium 2019: Silver Medal
- Tournoi satellite WC Fencing competition, Iceland 2019: Bronze Medal
Physical Stats & More
|Height (Approx)||168 cm (in Centimeters) |
1.68 m (in meters)
5’6” (in feet inches)
|Weight (Approx)||60 kg (in kilograms)|
132 lbs (in pounds)
|Parents||Father: CA Sundararaman|
Mother: CA Ramani
2 elder Sisters